Thursday, May 28, 2009

Cholesterol has improved

I've had my cholesterol measured March in 2006 and just recently, in May of 2009.

My total cholesterol went from 129 to 126 mg/dL. My HDL or "good" cholesterol went from 50 to 63 mg/dL. My LDL or "bad" cholesterol went from 65 to 52 mg/dL. I find this encouraging. I don't know what the error margin is for these tests, so the change might not be as significant as I think.

I correlated these improvements with improvements in my diet. In 2006, I was eating a lot of fast food, college food, and Denny's. Lots of sugar. In the Fall of 2008, I met with trainers Bruno and Adriana, and they pointed me toward simpler whole wheat grains, nuts, and vegetables.

Estee, my landlord, works near Los Angeles as a physical therapist. She says that greater than 3 out of 4 of her patients are taking medication for either high blood pressure or high cholesterol. I would like to avoid joining that group of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment