Thursday, February 1, 2024

Rating the Parks and Recreation Characters

Here is my tier list of the characters in Parks and Recreation:

Tier Characters
S
ARon, Tom
BApril, Chris
CBen
DAndy, Ann
FLeslie

I didn't list Donna or Jerry because they have relatively minor roles.

If I had to list a few notable guest characters with which I am familiar, the ratings would look like this:

Tier Characters
STammy 2
AJean Ralphio
B
C
DTammy 1, Monalisa
F

I have never watched more than several episodes (from the early seasons) of this show, so my ratings are based on clips I've seen on YouTube.

I'm not sure what defense to make for my listings. I really like Tom because he commits to being interested in a metrosexual life. He is like a gentleman, or endeavours to be one. Metrosexual is an unfair term that sells him short.

Ron is a reliable standby who most people like. I don't think he is S-Tier, like Tammy 2, because he is too normal. I say normal because I am comparing two giants. Tammy 2 is a villain and overcomes Ron, Jeremy Jamm, and seemingly other men off screen who we don't get to know. Unlike Tammy 1, who is too difficult to find credible, she loves herself and the drama that she stirs up.

April is another standby like Ron. When she and Ron team up, the show really takes off. I do not think that she and Andy ever team up because Andy is unlike her. He is just a kid. We're supposed to like Andy for being boyish and care-free. Sometimes his jokes land but they don't give him any direction. April is a rebel, like Ron is. Andy is middle-of-the-road; he is too childish and cartoonish to ever take seriously.

Leslie is the lowest ranking character because all she does is go around being nice to people. The reader may find it amusing that I put her and Tammy 2 into opposite positions. Leslie has little comedy to perform. She occasionally is painted to be out of control, like when we see her house and she is a hoarder, but these are very short-lived moments. Leslie can never be evil, cartoonish, or in rebellion, so her lines are forgettable.

Chris I put ahead of Ben because he is interesting as a man who loves attention to detail and diligence. He is carved out as a counterweight to what Ron stands for. He is welcome because he is providing material for argument.

Jean Ralpio is a great peak into what Tom might be if he let himself go. He approaches being a villain, like Tammy 2. His sister is too much of a caricature to be his equal, though. She is a straightforwardly selfish person, but with none of the determination that we see in Tammy 2.

Ben is more interesting than Leslie. We get to see him fall to pieces more than once. The time he spends being nerdy for the sake of other characters' criticism or belittling is boring and cliche. Thus he occupies the middle of the ratings. His enthusiasm for what he believes in makes him good TV fodder.

Ann is as boring as Andy. She is Leslie's friend and April's foe. She gets midly irritated by others, complains to the camera, and has no opinions of her own that stand out. If TV consisted of just Ann's, it would be unwatchable.

No comments:

Post a Comment