Saturday, April 27, 2024

Am I Falling out of Love with Emacs?

Do I need emacs? Why did I like it so much? Isn't it usually simpler and more portable to just use the command line, instead of an emacs key binding?

Why do I need emacs to do indentation for me when I can use the tab key perfectly fine in Textastic.

Emacs is so complicated that you can't even use the tab key to indent your code. It won't let you. It'll autoformat code according to its internal rules for the current language. Formatting a .tsx file in emacs is impossible (granted, TSX is probably too complicated for us to be using in the first place).

I guess emacs is cool if you're sending lisp snippets into an interpreter. But I don't find that I miss it. It's easy to guess how I feel about tools like Resharper at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment