Thursday, May 30, 2024

My Friend from ISU

A long time ago, I was back in California after spending a year and a half at Iowa State University. I had graduated from college and had purchased my first car, a Toyota Camry Hybrid. They were kind of new at the time (2007ish).

A friend from ISU contacted me, saying he was coming to Los Angeles for a job fair. The job fair was going to be for jobs in Japan. This friend spoke Japanese (I don't recall how he learned it). He wasn't a native to Japan.

We coordinated schedules and I picked him up from the airport. I drove him to his hotel. Before leaving him there, we went out to eat. We went to a Shabu-Shabu place. We probably were in that restaurant for forty-five minutes. We took a couple of pictures. We didn't have smartphones in those days, so I probably was using a digital camera to take the photos.

I think this is what I am supposed to be looking forward to in friendship. I think this is what I am supposed to look for during my downtime from work. I don't remember what that friend and I talked about over dinner, but we must've talked about something.

No comments:

Post a Comment